What is Over Dimensional Cargo or ODC?
ODC is any cargo or goods that exceed the dimensions of a vehicle. Hence, they need added safety and security measures during transport to ensure that the goods aren’t damaged. In simple terms, these are over-sized goods that required over-the-top care and support during transit.
For example: if a truck of 20 feet is loaded with big tankers that exceed the capacity of the truck’s height, width and length then it’ll be counted as ODC goods.
Why The Category?
The government has specific rules and laws when it comes to ODC goods. These shipments are often backed by safety norms and fines. The need for imposing laws is to refrain companies from taking unnecessary risks with important, dangerous and fragile goods, hence, they have to abide by the safety rules established by the government.
The Indian government has defined the criteria for defining ODC limits. You can refer to the same below:
- Length: 20/40 feet/Out of platform
- Width: more than 8 feet
- Height: 11 feet from the ground up
If you as a company owner or logistics provider don’t follow the defined limits, then you’ll be eligible for penalties under the law.
Who Can Help You With ODC Transportation?
The current situation of the ODC transport industry in India isn’t very great. An established logistics provider with at least 10 years of experience with ODC can help you with your shipment because the roads and infrastructure in India need hands-on experience, especially with dangerous goods.
However, these days, many competitors are offering companies cheap services to stay ahead. While there’s nothing wrong with that, it can, perhaps, put your goods in danger. Hence, it’s better to opt for an established ODC service provider.
Here are a few qualifications that you can look at:
- Should have decades or at least 10 years of experience with handing over-sized goods like heavy machinery, extra height instruments, heavy haulage etc.
- Should have enough manpower to keep an eye on the goods 24×7 with complete safety and supervision.
- It should be able to offer you customized vehicle options and a wide network of warehouses and storage facilities to keep your supply chain running
- They should be well-versed with the laws, regulations and the considerations of ODC in India
- Ensure your logistics service provider gives you value-added services like real-time tracking, customer service and timely updates
- They should have a professional team of expert drivers that know the Indian roads through and thorough
At Mega, we have been serving clients from an array of industries with Over Dimensional Cargo like FMCG, Carbon, Pharma, Rubber, Tyre, Textiles, Automobiles etc. With over 45+ years of experience, we can assure you that we know the in-and-out of ODC transportation.
So if you’re looking for any help, then don’t hesitate to get in touch with us!